How Great is the Great Pumpkin?
The pumpkin has achieved Superfood Status and that’s pretty great! For all the following reasons, the pumpkin is probably greater than any of us realized.
- Keep your eyesight sharp! Pumpkins are rich in carotenoids, including beta-carotene which the body converts into a form of Vitamin A to protect eyes from cataracts and degeneration.
- The pulp and the seeds are rich in magnesium which is required for bone and teeth health.
- Pumpkins contain lots of potassium and zinc to prevent the onset of cardiovascular disease and hypertension. Zinc is good for the immune system, the skin and for fertility.
- Pumpkin seeds are rich in tryptophan which can boost your mood.
- Pumpkin seeds are also rich in phytosterols which reduce LDL cholesterol.
- Pumpkins are an antioxidant and an anti-inflammatory food! They are a solid source of Vitamin C which boosts the immune system. This means they help with joint health, organ health, stress relief and soft tissue injuries.
- High levels of Vitamin C also encourage collagen production and this will help the skin maintain its beautiful glow and elasticity.
- Pumpkin is a great source of fiber to help wash out any toxins and keep your body running smoothly.
- Pumpkin seeds are the only seed this is alkaline-forming, and this is very important when our diets are highly acidic.