The Power of Pomegranates
Pomegranates are a beautiful red fruit with a tough outer layer that’s not edible. However the juice and seeds inside make them a powerful SUPERFRUIT.
The bright red colour of a pomegranate makes them perfect for this season! And the power that this fruit packs makes them perfect for your health! They are loaded with vitamins C and B, potassium, folic acid and iron. Each crunchy edible seed is an excellent source of fibre. And they contain about three times the antioxidants of green tea or red wine. Eat them on their own or toss them in a salad.
Some important features of the pomegranate include:
- the most powerful antioxidants of all fruits.
- potent anti-cancer and immune supporting effects.
- inhibition of abnormal platelet aggregation that could cause heart attacks and strokes.
- lowering of cholesterol and other cardiac risk factors.
- lowering of blood pressure.
- has been shown to promote the reversal of artherosclerotic plaque.
- may have benefits to relieve or protect against depression and osteoporosis.
Pomegranate juice is also a powerful source of health benefits. POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice is one of the best you can get. It’s available year round, while fresh pomegranates are found in most grocery stores from September through January. If you’ve never tried one, it’s wise to make your selection based on weight…the heavier the better. The skin should be shiny without any cracks, and this fruit will keep in the fridge for up to two months.
With benefits like those listed above, you owe it to yourself to include pomegranates in your diet this Christmas.
Try a Pomegranate Mocktail this Christmas:
Combine antioxidant-rich pomegranate juice with soda water, lime and ice in a martini glass and garnish with frozen cranberries or pomegranate seeds.